We’re opening a Squash Center and heaven knows you can’t do that alone, so we’d like to hire a few good people.
The application process is simple. If you – or someone you know – would like to help us at the Manhattan Community Squash Center (reminder: we’re a 501(c)(3) non-profit startup) simply send a cover note and a resume to Cleve@TheSquashCenter.org. We’d love to know why you’re excited to work with us.
You will be the the human embodiment the Manhattan Community Squash Center! (No pressure.) Your first mission will be to make sure that everyone who passes through our doors has a great experience. Whether they are coming to play squash, to the cafe, to work out, or to watch their kids learn our great sport – everyone should be treated equally and with every visit they should grow to love squash and our Squash Center just a little bit more. If you can get on a first name basis with our guests and visitors that would be fantastic. Getting to know people is the first step towards making them happy.
Of course there are some specifics. You’ll need to learn how our court booking system works, so that you can check people into their courts. You’ll want to keep the place clean, so when you see a stray towel you’re going to want to put it in the towel bin. If one of our machines is a little wet, you’ll want to wipe it down. And as we offer a laundry service, from time to time you’ll be taking the dirty stuff to the laundry facility to wash, dry and make everything sparkling clean again.
Then there are some opportunities that depend on you. If you have a finance bent, we’ll get you to help with the books. If marketing is your thing, we’d love you to help with our blogs, emails, and social media. If you’re a natural salesperson, we’re always looking to create more squash players. In other words, if you have a specific skill that might help us, please let us know.
We will open at 6am and close at 11pm daily, so we’ll be able to accomodate most schedules. If you have a particular time you’d like to work, or other times you cannot work, please let us know in your cover letter. We will hire both full- and part-time staff, and ideally we would like everyone to work a minimum of 20 hours per week. We will be offering health benefits to all full-time employees – which we will define as 32+ hours a week.
Here’s a more traditional list of responsibilities to help clarify:
- Greet, direct, and support our club members.
- Carry out phone and email communications with members and staff.
- Manage the squash court reservation system and book court time for members.
- Collaborate with member services team to manage various administrative tasks.
- Provide information and pricing to prospective members.
- Assist in various other tasks as required for club operations.
- Run the laundry operation
- Keep the space clean and tidy (there will be a cleaning service that will come in every night to assist).
In terms of your qualifications – we are most interested in who you are and your energy and enthusiasm to work with us, but again, here’s a list of guidelines to help you understand what we’re looking for:
- Welcoming, polite, courteous and positive
- Detail-oriented, well-organized and able to set priorities under pressure
- Technology proficient and comfortable with learning web apps that help run the squash center
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- Professional and personable presentation
- Reliable and punctual
- College-level understanding and use of English language
- Excellent communication skills
We will pay a salary of between $18.00 and $20.00 /hour depending on experience, qualifications and the nature of the work you’ll perform.
We are of course an equal opportunity employer. We are making every effort to hire people that reflect the kaleidoscope we know as New York City.
Oh, I nearly forgot, always remember not to boast and to keep it deep….